Virtual Launch Event of the FOC Joint Statement on Spread of Disinformation Online
The Freedom Online Coalition (FOC) will officially launch its Joint Statement on Spread of Disinformation Online on Tuesday, 16 February at 14:00 UTC / 09:00 EST.
- Irene Khan, United Nations Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of freedom of opinion and expression
- Sarah Connolly, Director Security and Online Harms, Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, United Kingdom
- Elina Ravantti, Director General of Communications, Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Finland
- Motunrayo Joel, Nigeria Deputy Editor/Health Researcher, Africa Check
- Emilar Gandhi, Stakeholder Engagement Manager for EMEA, Facebook
- Moderator: Charles Bradley, FOC Support Unit & Executive Director, Global Partners Digital
The Joint Statement on Spread of Disinformation Online expresses concern about the growing scope and sophistication of disinformation employed by state and non-state actors with political, ideological, commercial or other motives. To address this trend, the FOC calls upon governments to refrain from conducting and sponsoring disinformation campaigns, and urges all stakeholders to take active steps to address the issue in a manner that respects human rights, democracy and the rule of law. The development of this statement was led by the governments of Finland and the United Kingdom with input from other Coalition member states and the multi-stakeholder FOC Advisory Network.
You can find the recording of the launch here.